History of The Abbey
In 1938, a group of Carmelite nuns came to Oklahoma. Due to the growth of the state, the ever-expanding commercial business areas and noise from heavily trafficked roads, the community relocated to a remote property near Piedmont, Oklahoma, in 1985. There, the nuns built a permanent monastery, now known as The Abbey.
Today, though the nuns no longer reside at The Abbey, however the rhythm of prayer and contemplation continues according to the example of the first nuns founded by Saint Teresa of Jesus in the 1500’s in Avila, Spain.
Continuing the flow of prayer, our primary mission is prayer and healing, focused on serving and evangelizing the world for the exclusive purpose of advancing the kingdom of God. At the Abbey, our primary apostolate assignment is to pray for the needs of the church, Oklahoma, and the world.